Certified Training: Community Relations Practice in the Extractive Industry
In partnership with CSMI (Centre for Sustainability in Mining and Industry) at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), Synergy has successfully been running the Community Relations Practice in the Extractive Industry programme since 2013. The programme consists of four University certified short courses, each of one week’s duration, hosted at the Wits University.
Aimed at community relations practitioners and professionals in Africa, the course seeks to develop critical capacity and professional skills in the area of community relations management.
You’ll benefit from:
- Readily applicable professional skills;
- Real-world case studies and peer-to-peer learning;
- Ability to use international management and governance frameworks, as required by governments, companies, investors and regulatory bodies;
- Shared experiences with colleagues from across Africa;
- Membership in a new professional community of practice and network to further collaborate on pan-African issues and solutions in the extractive industry; and
- Improved interpersonal skills and personal resilience to manage high-pressure situations and community conflicts.
Apply for an upcoming course:
Course statistics to date:
- 25 countries represented, of which 18 are from Africa
Types of organisations:
- Mining (63%)
- Oil and gas (13%)
- Government (6%)
- Consulting (6%)
- Traditional authorities (4%)
- Other (9%)
- 46% women and 54% men
Roles of participants:
- Community Relations and Community Development were the most common, followed by Senior Management, Corporate Affairs, Corporate Social Responsibility and Consultants.